The right team is a rare gem for many dental practices and when you find the right people, you want to make sure they stick around. So, what can you do to attract and keep the right talent? How can you keep people engaged with your team and excited to come in each day? The truth is that there ARE a few strategic things you can do to attract the right fit for your staff and you CAN do specific things to help keep them on board.
Attract The Right Staff to Your Dental Practice:
- Make your descriptions and needs clear from the start. Create a good working description of what you are hiring for, whether it’s for a temp position or a permanent position. The most specific you are, the more the staff can visualize and check the boxes on if they fit those qualifications.
- Offer fair compensation. One of the keys to attracting quality staff is to make sure that you are paying fair or competitive wages. You don’t have to break the bank, but if you go cheap on wages, you will find a revolving door of staff.
- Put your best foot forward. When engaging with prospective staff, remember that they are interviewing your practice as much as you are interviewing them. Be fully present in interviews. Smile and have body language that shows you’re interested in hearing about them.
- Take care of your existing staff. A solid team will be a great selling point to anyone temping or checking out your practice. If you take good care of your team, they’ll naturally make new people want to join in the fun.
- Work with the right staffing company. Find a staffing company that provides quality options, support for staff and practices, and one that makes the process as efficient as possible. That’s what we’re always striving to do at DTSS.
Keeping the Right Talent in Your Dental Practice
- Have clearly defined policies. When staff know what to expect from their boss, they are able to focus on the work instead of guessing if they are doing the right things. Have clearly defined roles, written policies, and clear communication with the team on new policies so that it’s clear what everyone is expected to do.
- Do annual reviews. So many practice owners say they will do annual or regular reviews, but they never do. Make these a priority, which will signal to your staff that you care about their success on the team.
- Encourage first and always. Positive reinforcement is a great motivator and so vital for any successful dental team. If you want to keep the right talent, make sure they know they’re appreciated and that you value their expertise.
- Surprise them! Surprise treats are always a fun motivator for any team. It can be something small like a snack, or can be a bigger gift as well. Do things regularly to make sure your team knows you care.
The time you spend on hiring can be tiresome, which is why you want to make sure you are attracting the RIGHT talent, and also keeping them once they’re on the team. Contrary to popular belief, staff WILL stick around if it’s a good fit. It takes a few intentional moves to get the right people in place, but when you do, you’ll find that any effort was well worth it!